Use our samples of thank you notes to easily learn how to write a nice note to properly thank someone for sending a gift, money, or showing support.
No technological advancement can replace a written letter. And after receiving a gift, a simple text will not suffice. Lucky for us, etiquette experts Catherine Newman and Diane Gottsman have helped us compile go-to phrases and pieces of advice for writing the perfect thank you note.
With examples and suggestions, Newman and Gottsman show us exactly how to phrase a thoughtful message to a friend, family member, or colleague. So before putting pen to paper, review the following Real Simple guide to crafting the ultimate thank you note.
How to Write a Thank You Note
How to Address Thank You Notes
Depending on your relationship with the recipient, you may want to use a more formal address with “Dear [name],” or a casual opener with their name and a comma. Newman, Real Simple’s Modern Manners columnist, etiquette expert, and author of the parenting memoir Waiting for Birdy, says the close should be treated the same.
How to Close Your Thank You Note
“The sign-off is whatever seems appropriate for the occasion: ‘love,’ ‘very truly yours,’ ‘your grateful coworker,’” she says. “Whatever best captures the spirit of the relationship!”
Thank You Messages
But what about the contents of the letter? Below are suggestions and templates to help you draft your note.
Thank You Messages for Gifts
- “Thank you for the cookware. It is just what I need to make your famous Italian sauce. I plan to use your recipe very soon.”
- “Thank you so much for the beautiful silver picture frame. I have perfect picture to put in it and the perfect shelf.”
- “Oh my god! A BMW! You are the best grandparents ever!" (It’s more challenging, but still totally doable, with something less wonderful, like a scratchy sweater, Newman assures).
As a template, try constructing your thank you note for a gift with, “Thank you for the [insert gift here]. I am looking forward to using it [describe action or appropriate time you will use it].”
Thank You Messages for Money
- “There’s a really great robotics kit I've had my eye on.”
- “As you know, I’m saving up for a car, so I’m going to put this right in the bank.”
- “We are saving to put a deposit down on a new apartment and your generosity has helped us immensely. I can’t wait to host you for dinner soon—possibly in our new apartment!” (Don't mention a denomination! says Gottsman, a national etiquette expert, author of Modern Etiquette for a Better Life, and founder of The Protocol School of Texas.
Use the following template for a thank you note about receiving money: “Thank you so much for the gift. I am [an activity, project or product you are hoping to buy] and your generosity will certainly help me [the result of the activity, project or product purchase].”
Thank You Messages for Support
- “Your visit to the hospital lifted my spirits. I am feeling much better and wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your support.”
- “To say you are always there when I need you would be an understatement. I want you to know how much I appreciate your support during this difficult time. It has made the transition easier.”
- “Thank you for checking in on me. I will never forget your kindness and hope to do the same for you one day.”
This template will help when writing a note to someone who has helped support you: “Thank you for [act of kindness]. I am so grateful to have you as a [relationship].”