Save money by making a reservation on these dates.
Even though it’s only April, it’s never too early to start planning your summer vacation. The travel site TripAdvisor just revealed its “Best time to Book” report, which offers the ideal times to book hotels for popular destinations around the world.
TripAdvisor looked at booking data for nine popular regions around the world from April 2014 to February 2016, particularly in the summer months (June-August). The travel site found that, for the most part, hotel rates gradually change over time and the amount you can save by making a reservation at the right time ultimately depends on the destination—when booking at the preferred time, you’ll only save an average of about seven percent for U.S. hotels (2 months out), whereas you could save 23 percent on European hotels (3-4 months out).
And good news if you’re a procrastinator, or prone to planning spontaneous trips: if you’re willing to take a risk, sometimes it pays off to wait until the last minute. For Asia hotels, you’ll want to book 3 months in advance to save 23 percent, but you might find the lowest prices two weeks before the trip. If you’re going to South America, you can save 2-4 percent if you book in the final few weeks before the travel date. And the same last-minute deals can be found for hotels in the Middle East and Africa.
Take a look at TripAdvisor’s full list of best times to book in popular cities below:
- Bangkok: Within 3 months for 16% savings
- Barcelona: 2-7 months out for 27% savings
- Beijing: 2-6 months out for 16% savings
- Berlin: 2-5 months out for 33% savings
- Buenos Aires: 1-4 months out for 19% savings
- Cancun: 2-4 months for 16% savings
- Cape Town: Within 3 months for 13% savings
- Dubai: Within 2 months for 40% savings
- Dublin: 2-5 months out for 14% savings
- Hanoi: Within 3 months for 16% savings
- Istanbul: Within 5 months for 29% savings
- Jakarta: Within 3 months for 39% savings
- London: 3-5 months out for 18% savings
- Marrakech: Within 4 months for 28% savings
- Moscow: 4-7 months out for 55% savings
- Mumbai: Within 3 months for 17% savings
- New York City: 2-4 months out for 25% savings
- Orlando: 1-4 months for 10% savings
- Paris: Within 4 months for 32% savings
- Prague: 2-5 months for 33% savings
- Rio: 3-5 months out for 11% savings
- Rome:3-5 months for 32% savings
- Singapore: 2 weeks to 5 months for 26% savings
- Sydney: Within 5 months for 34% savings
- Tokyo: 2-5 months for 31% savings