6 Last-Minute Vacation Strategies
Call Around About All-Inclusive or Destination Trips
Trust in Twitter
- UnitedAirlines offers low fares (dubbed twares) to its followers.
- JetBlueCheeps tweets about cheap last-minute flights (cheeps) every Monday.
- Rickseaney, the CEO of farecompare.com, lets his followers in on air travel specials before they hit the big travel sites.
- Getatraveldeal features exclusive discounts found by blogger Sylvia of getatraveldeal.com.
- Quikbook reveals discount hotel rates.
Sign up for Free E-newsletters
Take Advantage of Adventure Tour Cancellations
Haggle for a Rental Home
Plan a Mid-Week Camping Trip
Campsites fill up on Friday and Saturday nights, says Williams. So, for your pick of the tent and RV sites, kick off your family trip on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. To find a campground, visit the National Park Service site and click on “Find a Park.” Once you’ve chosen a spot, go to “Plan Your Visit” for fees and reservation details, directions, and information on activities and guided tours. If you have crabby teens who’d complain about roughing it in the woods with Mom and Dad, pick a place that even they can get excited about―like Washington’s Olympic National Park near Forks, where the Twilight book series is set.