This Is the Cheapest Month to Visit These Popular Cities in the Fall
It’s time to start thinking about your autumn travel plans.
Even though Labor Day is still a few weeks away, believe it or not, it’s prime time to start making fall travel plans. The earlier you book tickets and hotel rooms, the better your chances are of saving some money, or at least staying within your budget.
Travel site KAYAK looked at the most popular cities on its site and crunched some numbers to see which month or weekend was the cheapest time to visit. The experts found that the best travel deals for the fall are in September, specifically the third and fourth weeks of the month. And since September is just a month away, you’ll want to score those deals before they vanish.
KAYAK experts analyzed the median flight prices on coach roundtrip flights from the U.S. with search dates of January 1, 2017 and June 15, 2017 and travel dates of September 15, 2017 to November 11, 2017.
Thinking of a tropical vacation to Cancun or San Juan? You’ll want to plan a trip for the third weekend of September. If an urban city (like Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York) is calling your name this autumn, the third weekend is also optimal. But if Miami or Orlando is on your radar, you can save that trip for the fourth weekend of September.
Take a look at when you should visit the most popular cities this fall below, plus the median airfare for those destinations.
- Cancun: Third weekend of September; $149
- San Juan: Third weekend of September; $145
- Boston: Third weekend of September; $133
- Chicago: Third weekend of September; $121
- Denver: Third weekend in September; $136
- Fort Lauderdale: Third weekend in September; $141
- Las Vegas: Third weekend in September; $126
- Los Angeles: Third weekend in September; $122
- Miami: Fourth weekend in September; $138
- New Orleans: Last weekend in September; $129
- New York: Third weekend in September; $131
- Orlando: Fourth weekend in September; $148
- San Francisco: Third weekend in September; $130