Before you give someone access to your home, get to know the potential employee’s past. And don’t make any final hires until you have met your cleaner, because a gut reaction goes a long way.
What to Ask
- Do you bring your own equipment and cleaning supplies, or will I provide them?
- Will you ever bring someone to clean with you?
- What if you’re sick? Will you send someone else, or will I have to wait until your next scheduled visit?
- Do you have a green card or a work visa? (Ask this if you’re not hiring from an agency.)
- Are you bonded and insured with liability coverage? (If not, check with your insurance company to see what your coverage is.)
- How do you like to be contacted? On the phone? In a note?
- Could I talk to other people you’ve cleaned for?
- How often do you plan to clean things like the refrigerator? Drapes? Windows? Baseboards?