All I Want for Christmas
- Eight hours of sleep for five days in a row.
- A pill for my dog to make him stop shedding.
- A pill for me to make me stop caring about shedding.
- Children who do not argue when I ask them to brush the shedding dog.
- Children who do not argue. Scratch that, too much to ask.
- A day completely free of meetings.
- A day with nothing to do but read a good book (note: I am currently reading Tracy Kidder’s Strength in What Remains and would happily take to my bed to finish it).
- A way to drink coffee after 3 p.m. while still being able to fall asleep at 11.
- Less stuff in my house.
- Specifically, fewer plastic toys (cars, trucks, fire engines, anything with wheels) in the dining room; fewer papers on top of my dresser; fewer Nerf gun bullets lodged in light fixtures that cannot be accessed without a stepladder.
- Two hours to watch Bridget Jones’s Diary every day for the rest of my life.
- A job at The Onion, just for a week.
- More time devoted to finding old friends; less time devoted to my to-do list.
- An hourly appreciation that my parents will definitely not be around forever.
- Fewer e-mails; more phone calls.
- A weekly wine delivery.