Featured in July 2005
See what was in this issue of Real Simple.
- Get a Handle on It, pg. 33
- When you turn 40, lose a beloved pet, show up for your first day of work, or sprout a pimple at exactly the wrong time, it helps to have some coping mechanisms.
- Seize the Moment, pg. 148
- The sun, the fun, and the action are all outside. Why aren’t you? The easiest ways to take indoor life’s routines ― the a.m. paper, the evening cocktail ― out to enjoy the summer.
- Peaches & Cream, pg. 154
- Sweet and savory ways to improve on a summer classic, from a nutty tart to a warm shrimp salad.
- Natural History, pg. 162
- For more than 40 years, an Adirondack camp has given its guests, as well as the family that runs it, a place to call home.
- Crowd Pleasers, pg. 172
- Six women reveal the items that inspire compliments everywhere they go ― and offer ways you can find an attention-getter of your own.
Tried-and-true ice cream scoops, pg. 83
Travel mugs that go the distance, pg. 89
From grocery-store clubs to DVD memberships ― when is it worth joining? pg. 93
Everyday etiquette for parking lots, planes, stores, and beyond, pg. 103
Clever ways to hide a full stomach, pg. 113
Pack it up: the best suitcases, cosmetics bags, and travel-friendly clothing, pg. 117
Deodorants and antiperspirants that keep sweat at bay, pg. 125
How to make sure your diet is vitamin-rich, pg. 133
Foolproof ideas to accommodate overnight guests so that everyone sleeps easy, pg. 139
In Every Issue
- Why Not? , pg. 10
- Contributors, pg. 28
- Editor’s note, pg. 30
- Credits, pg. 222
- Real Simple to Go, pg. 226
Healthy Habit, pg. 51
Why arguing with your husband may be good for you.
Products of the Month, pg. 52
A healthier pasta that’s tasty too; a plant food that’s as good for the environment as it is for your blossoms.
New Uses for Old Things, pg. 59
A coat rack shows off your necklaces; a peppermint tin protects tissues.
Modern Manners, pg. 62
How to handle the gift-giving dilemma when you receive an invitation from someone you barely know.
Garden Guide, pg. 64
Unroll a made-to-measure wooden walkway and upgrade your yard in a snap.
Fake It, Don’t Make It, pg. 66
- Shopping List/Recipe Index, pg. 182
- A week’s worth of quick, easy-to-fix dinners. pg. 87
- Fresh takes on summer vegetables. p. 199
- The Staple
- Beyond salads: seven simple dishes that start with vinaigrette, pg. 209
Thoughts, pg. 8
Your Words, pg. 41
What is your favorite summer ritual?
Good-bye to All That, pg. 71
A recovering pack rat unloads a basement’s worth of possessions and finds himself in the process.
Postscript, pg. 224
An excerpt from the memoir Riding in the Shadows of Saints: A Woman’s Story of Motorcycling the Mormon Trail, by Jana Richman.