Featured in December 2005/January 2006
See what was in this issue of Real Simple.
50 Gifts Under $50, pg. 55
Make that list, then check it twice―against Real Simple’s holiday gift guide. You’ll find inspired choices for everyone from partners to pets. Best of all, you can buy most of them without leaving home.
Holiday Party 1-2-3, pg. 274
Real Simple’s complete pull-out guide to three seasonal celebrations: a cheese party, a sit-down dinner, and a dessert buffet.
Party Mix, pg. 300
Colorful dresses, ball skirts, and beyond: looks that will be appropriate for every party dress code, even the ever-so-vague “festive attire.”
How Doctors Heal Themselves, pg. 312
Five renowned M.D.’s examine their own health habits, revealing which practices are crucial and which you can (mostly) ignore.
Santa's Biggest Helper, pg. 320
Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus―and she’s a New Yorker committed to granting the holiday wishes of needy children.
In Every Issue
Why Not?, pg. 20
Contributors?, pg. 40
Editor’s Note, pg. 42
Credits, pg. 372
Real Simple to Go, pg. 380
- Acts of kindness to incorporate into every day, pg. 115
- Find anything with the right website, pg. 127
- Of-the-month club memberships for every interest, pg. 135
- Stoked! Fireplace fundamentals, pg. 141
- Indoor grilling, pg. 153
- Four dish towels that really wipe up the competition, pg. 161
- Easy, no-wrap gift boxes, pg. 167
- The season’s most festive party shoes, pg. 175
- Stylish suits that flatter all, pg. 183
- Cash machines: functional wallets in three sizes, pg. 193
- Fighting off cold and flu bugs, pg. 203
- Why napping is good for your brain, your health, and your sanity, pg. 215
- A guide to tooth-related problems, from gum disease to TMJ, pg. 225
- Extend the life of your hair color, manicure, and makeup job, pg. 233
- Best sites for beauty shopping, pg. 241
- Quick remedies for common holiday beauty woes, pg. 249
- Tips for storing holiday decorations, so you won’t find yourself tangled in strings of lights next year, pg. 261
Shopping List/Recipe Index, pg. 330
The Staple, pg. 335
Whether it’s the first or last course, maple syrup makes life sweeter.
Five Easy Dinners, pg. 347
A week's worth of quick, easy-to-fix meals.
Frozen Assets, pg. 359
There are hidden treasures in your freezer. Here’s how to find them.
Technique, pg. 369
Caramelizing turns a sharp onion into a mild marvel, adding depth to pastas, potatoes, pizzas, and more.
Thoughts, pg. 14
Your Words, pg. 45
How do you find meaning in the busy holiday season?
Mommie Dearest?, pg. 105
Breaking free from her mother’s grip, a writer discovers what it means to be part of a family.
Postscript, pg. 338
An excerpt from Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of Everyday Life (or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door), a new humor and reference book by Lynne Truss.