See what was in this issue of Real Simple.
Top Rungs, pg. 27
Ladders can reach new heights of style when you use them as shelves, towel racks, bedside tables, and more.
Sizing Up a Small Place, pg. 162
With clever storage strategies and easy decorating tricks, a too-small apartment becomes a showcase for living large.
Summer Hair, pg. 172
Have sun and chlorine taken a toll on your hair? You can restore moisture, shine, strength, and even color with products found right in your kitchen.
Summer on Ice, pg. 180
Pick now, freeze for later―possibly much later. These pairs of recipes will help you savor perfectly ripe corn, tomatoes, peaches, and plums well past Halloween.
- Web Exclusive: How Long Can You Refrigerate or Freeze Food?
Happy birthdays are nice. But how about happy first day of school or I-survived-divorce day? Here, five women find unusual reasons to party.
In Every Issue
Why Not?, pg. 10
Editor’s Note, pg. 22
Contributors, pg. 24
Credits, pg. 233
Real Simple To Go, pg. 238
New Uses for Old Things, pg. 47
Eggshells help glass sparkle; citrus shells serve up summer desserts.
Products of the Month, pg. 50
Ice-cube trays that are easy to crack; window cleaner that won’t run.
Party Trick, pg. 57
A better way to butter corn on the cob.
Easy Upgrade, pg. 58
With the right inserts and insoles, your favorite shoes won’t kill your feet.
Modern Manners, pg. 60
When married friends get divorced, can you stay friends with both of them?
Fake It, Don’t Make It, pg. 62
Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
- Balms that soften, soothe, and protect your lips, p. 77
- What price beauty? A primer on which products are worth paying more for―and which to get for a steal, pg. 83
- Mouthwashes do more than freshen breath―they can help prevent gum disease and even fight cavities. A guide to which gargles do what, pg. 99
- Street smarts: eye-catching house numbers and where to put them, pg. 99
- Everything you need to know about zipper-seal plastic bags, plus surprising new uses, pg. 109
- Combine eight fashion staples with three stylish standouts to create a week’s worth of outfits, pg. 121
- What to do when the unexpected happens? Here are smart first steps for 14 scenarios, pg. 129
- Let the games begin. Fun picks to entertain any group, pg. 139
- Web Exclusive: Should you let kids win?
- All the supplies you need to make minor mending a snap―no matter your level of sewing skill―and the best ways to stash them, pg. 151
The Staple, pg. 201
Six delicious reasons to rush out and buy a bunch of basil.
- Web Exclusive: What to Do with Leftover Basil
A week’s worth of quick- to-fix meals.
Taste Test, pg. 227
Store-bought lemonades to see you through the dog days.
Shopping List/Recipe Index, pg. 230
Thoughts, pg. 6
Your Words, pg. 33
What’s the most fearless thing you’ve ever done?
- Web Exclusive: More of Your Most Fearless Acts
After several Me Decades with selfish parents and boyfriends, writer Merrill Markoe finally stopped letting narcissists have their way with her.
Postscript, pg. 236
An excerpt from A Three Dog Life: A Memoir, by Abigail Thomas.