20 Books the Whole Family Will Enjoy
These picks from librarians, editors, and parents work for a mix of ages.
Big-Kid Picture Books
Ideal for ages 7 to 15, these explore deeper ideas but are still engaging for prereaders.
- Journey by Aaron Becker; $7, amazon.com.
- Tibet: Through the Red Box by Peter Sis; $20, amazon.com.
- The Arrival by Shaun Tan; $11, amazon.com.
- The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson; $14, amazon.com.
Same stories (for the most part), different tellings based on age. Have kids compare and contrast, says Parrott.
- Greek Myths (first grade and up) by Marcia Williams; $8, amazon.com.
- Treasury of Greek Mythology (third grade and up) by Diana Jo Napoli; $18, amazon.com.
- Olympians Series (fourth grade and up) by George O’Connor; $5-$10 each, amazon.com.
- Gods Behaving Badly (teens and adults) by Marie Phillips; $8, amazon.com.
Just for Teens
And with adult supervision, we add. But these timely titles will spark good discussion.
- Between The World And Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates; $16, amazon.com.
- Juliet Takes A Breath by Gabby Rivera; $17, amazon.com.
- How Dare The Sun Rise by Sandra Uwiringiyimana; $14, amazon.com.
- Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon; $8, amazon.com.
Each of these books is a new version of a best seller for a different age. Big kid reads one, little kid reads the other.
- Original: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate; $7, amazon.com.
- Spinoff: Ivan by Katherine Applegate; $10, amazon.com.
- Original: Fancy Nancy Series by Jane O’Connor; $10, amazon.com.
- Spinoff: Nancy Clancy Series by Jane O’Connor; $13, amazon.com.
- Original: Wonder by R.J. Palacio; $11, amazon.com.
- Spinoff: We’re All Wonders by R.J. Palacio; $14, amazon.com.
- Original: Amelia Bedelia Series by Peggy Parish; $9, amazon.com.
- Spinoff: Amelia Bedelia Series by Herman Parish; $27, amazon.com.