Birthing Playlists Are on the Rise—Is This the Ultimate One?
Spotify partnered with an OB-GYN to create the perfect “push” playlist.
Along with filling a hospital “go-bag” with clothes, toiletries, and newborn items, expectant parents might also want to think about prepping for labor and delivery by composing “push” playlists to listen to during birth. According to Spotify, its users have created more than 90,000 of these playlists.
The music streaming service has teamed up with New York OB-GYN Dr. Jacques Moritz to craft what they believe is the “perfect” delivery playlist. Dr. Moritz says he believes that music during birth can serve as a distraction from labor pains and the commotion of what’s going on in the delivery room: “Music strongly influences our central nervous system’s limbic system, which manages our memories, emotions, and how we deal with fear and pain. It makes sense that women would turn to music during childbirth as a source of comfort and strength.”
The playlist that Dr. Moritz and Spotify recommends is based on the stages of birth—it goes from slow and mellow songs, to more rhythmic songs with a beat, to a classical song, Bach’s Unaccompanied Cello Suite #1, for when parents will first meet their baby. To create your own playlist, Dr. Moritz has four guidelines for songs: they should be comforting and familiar (choose a favorite artist or genre), have strong instrumentals and few lyrics, include a variety of musicians, and be beautiful, empowering tunes that will make you feel good.
Take a look at what Spotify and Dr. Moritz came up with below:
- Pearl Jam - Just Breathe
- James Bay - Let It Go
- Regina Spektor - Don’t Leave Me
- Sigur Rós - Festival
- Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
- The Lumineers - Ho Hey
- Norah Jones - Sunrise
- Craft Spells - After the Moment
- Xavier Rudd - Follow the Sun
- Lucinda Williams - Fruits of My Labor
- John Lennon - Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
- Colbie Caillat - Capri
- D’Angelo - Really Love
- Milton Nascimento - Nos Bailes Da Vida
- Coldplay - Don’t Panic
- Fleet Foxes - Your Protector
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
- Kygo Maty Noyes - Stay
- P!nk - Try
- Muse - Starlight
- John Legend - All of Me - Tiesto’s Birthday Remix
- David Bowie, Queen - Under Pressure
- U2 - With or Without You
- Wilco - Impossible Germany
- Arcade Fire - Wake Up
- R.E.M. - Nightswimming
- Patty Griffin - Heavenly Day
- Iron & Wine - Naked As We Came
- Beyoncé - Blue
- Johann Sebastian Bach, Yo-Yo Ma - Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1
For more parenting tips, take a look at our new baby checklist and 10 newborn gifts that Real Simple editors swear by.