Easy Ways to Cut Clutter
Store Rings on Icing Tips
Instead of hiding rings away in a drawer, stack them on icing tips purchased from a bakery-supply store. Put these next to the kitchen sink―secured with reusable plastic adhesive to keep them steady―to safeguard rings when washing, too.
To buy: Cake icing tips, about $3 each, at houseware stores.
Keep Papers Accessible With Memo Holder
Originally made for keeping track of food orders in restaurants, this sleek stainless-steel and chrome rack will ensure that mail, messages, and shopping lists are not misplaced.
To buy: Memo holder with spring clips, $46, the Museum of Useful Things, themut.com.
Contain Collectibles in a Glass Pie Cabinet
Are beloved collectibles beginning to clutter your tabletops? Instead of using an expensive and cumbersome curio cabinet, display treasures or delicate glassware in a diner pie cabinet. It protects valuables from touchy-feely guests and eliminates frequent dusting.
To buy: Display case by Carib (10 x 14 x 10 inches), $130, Bowery Kitchen Supply, bowerykitchens.com.
Hang Boots to Save Space
Regain valuable floor space by hanging boots on a galvanized-steel rack.
To buy: Chore Boot Rack, from $19, gemplers.com.
Create Your Own Desk Organizer
Don't be limited by prefab desk organizers that don't have enough of the right-size compartments. Instead, use miniature loaf tins to design your own portable system.
To buy: Loaf pans, $1 to $3 at baking-supply stores.
Store Pens and Pencils in a Test-Tube Holder
- Don't waste time delving into a drawer full of jumbled pens and pencils. A test-tube holder makes everything easy to retrieve.
- To buy: Aluminum pencil holder, $28, the Museum of Useful Things, themut.com.
Hang Gear to Save Garage Space
Gain space in the garage or attic by slipping heavy-duty wire hooks over two-by-four cross beams. Use the hooks to suspend garden tools and other gear.
To buy: Portable Utility Hooks, from $6 each, gemplers.com.
Keep Tools Organized and Portable
An ordinary five-gallon plastic bucket is transformed into a portable tool or garden center when it wears a heavy-duty fabric hold-all sleeve. With 38 exterior and 18 interior pockets, this apron lets you easily locate tools and carry them to job sites.
To buy: Bucket Boss Tool Organizer, $30, amazon.com.
Untangle the Garden Hose With a Wall Rack
- If you keep tripping over the garden hose, get a wall-mounted rack to tame those unruly coils. By hanging your hose neatly, you'll also prevent kinks and holes from forming in the rubber or vinyl.
- To buy: Heavy-duty steel hose rack, $51.50, gemplers.com.
Bag Dirty Sports Gear
- Do as the pros do and deposit muddy soccer balls and sandy footballs into an equipment bag from a sports-supply catalog. This one has a full-length zipper and holds 12 volleyballs or eight basketballs. Just hose it down before storing the balls away for the next game.
- To buy: $13, palossports.com.