19 Mudroom, Laundry Room, and Garage Organizing Tricks
Recycling Bags, Mail Folders, Paper Boxes
1. Waterproof Recycling Bags (shown) make it a cinch to divvy up recyclables. The handles let them be carted to the curb easily.
To buy: $30 for a set of four, dwr.com.
2. Tuck a cardboard six-pack container in a tote bag and you’ve got an organizer for garden tools.
3. Install Three by Three’s Triple Hook-Up Strip mail holder by the front door. Keys hang from it, and outgoing mail goes on top.
To buy: $19, fridgedoor.com.
4. In each room, tuck a permanent marker and blue painter’s tape in a zippered plastic sandwich bag and have the kit handy for labeling anything and everything.
5. Clasp a pair of garden gloves together with a binder clip and hang them from pushpins on a corkboard in the mudroom.
6. Install a wire cooling rack on the garage wall, attach hooks to it, and hang tools.
7. Forget buying cardboard storage boxes. Snag empty copier-paper boxes from the office and use them to hold goods at home.
8. Vessla rolling storage crates (shown) stack neatly and have casters, so they’re easy to move around.
To buy: $7.50 each, including lid; ikea.com for stores.
9. Use the adjustable bright orange Bayco K-175 Cord Storage Strap to corral garden hoses, extension cords, and holiday lights.
To buy: $2, amazon.com.
10. Install a drapery rod in the laundry room as an extra-long drying rack for sheets and tablecloths. Add finials for a decorative touch.
11. Snap rake and broom handles of varying widths into the OXO Expandable Wall-Mounted unit.
To buy: $25, amazon.com.
12. In the mudroom or the entryway, assign a colored box or basket to each family member for holding items they want to grab as they leave the house.
13. Place the lids of large plastic storage tubs on the floor underneath pet-food bowls to contain spills, or use them in the garage or the mudroom to hold wet boots.
14. Store shoes, ornaments, wrapping paper, and other objects in empty wine boxes.*
Hooks and Holders
15. Sturdy red vinyl-coated Bicycle hooks by National Manufacturing Co. are easy to install and keep garden hoses, electrical cords, and more off the floor.
To buy: 80 cents each, citylivingstores.com.
16. Use the Cell Phone Holder for Car Cups to transform your car’s cup holder into a receptacle for change, pens, and gadgets.
To buy: $11, herringtoncatalog.com.
17. String up a hammock in the corner of the garage, where it can hold roly-poly sports equipment, like basketballs.
18. If you have an unused chest of drawers, use it to store hats and gloves in the mudroom.
19. Wash socks in a mesh bag and never lose a pair again.