20 Home Office Organizing Tricks
Binder Clips, Keyboards, Wire Organizers, Rolodexes
1. If you tend to make piles of papers, use PileSmart binder clips (right)—equipped with erasable labels—to fasten papers together by category and quickly find what you need.
To buy: $4 for a pack of 6, amazon.com.
2. The top of the myKeyO keyboard lifts up to reveal storage for desk doodads, like pushpins.
To buy: $30, keyboardorganizer.com.
3. Conceal excess wires by coiling them inside the cute and discreet rubberized Cable Turtle.
To buy: $7 to $14, containerstore.com.
4. Rolodexes aren’t just for business contacts. Use them for recipes, website log-ons, and passwords.
Desk Organizers, Labels
5. An adjustable desk organizer lets you sort mail by category (bills to pay, bills to file).
6. Magnetic Erasable Labels attach easily to metal shelving, boxes, and bins.
To buy: $11 for five, containerstore.com.
7. Create a hierarchy system for e-mail folders by using an A in front of each label for most-used folders and a Z for those used least.
8. Designate one day of each year to buy birthday cards for friends and family so you’ll never have to do a last-minute drugstore run.
Files, Trays, Wrap Organizers
9. Stash files in the pretty patterned Scandinavian Modern file tote (right) with handles for easy access.
To buy: For similar styles, go to galison.com.
10. Repurpose ice-cube trays as desk-drawer organizers.
11. Arrange desk essentials, like a stapler, Post-it Notes, and scissors, on a vintage tray and they’ll look orderly and a lot prettier.
12. Mount the Wrap ‘n Bag Organizer on a cabinet door to hold aluminum foil and plastic wrap.
To buy: $9, containerstore.com.
Bulletin Boards, Grocery Bags, Accordion Files, Velcro Strips
13. Screw the Mini Magnetic Strip Bulletin Board by Three by Three (right) into your wall and post reminders in style.
To buy: $6 each, velocityartanddesign.com.
14. Stuff plastic grocery bags inside an empty tissue box for compact storage and easy retrieval.
15. Organize bills in an accordion file with 12 pockets and designate one pocket for every month.
16. Use adhesive Velcro strips to secure surge protectors and dangling cords to the underside of a desk.
Charging Stations, Binders
17. The faux-leather 2-Pod Charging Station holds two gadgets, has a slot for mail, and takes up little space on a desktop.
To buy: $20, kangaroomstorage.com.
18. Put “expiration dates” on labels for files that store credit-card and bank statements so you’ll know when to shred them (after one year).
19. The next time you get unsolicited address labels in the mail, save them for filling out forms.
20. The Life.doc binder keeps critical info, such as legal and health-care documents, in one place.
To buy: $30, getbuttonedup.com.