28 Uses for Everyday Items
1. Open jars with ease.
When a small lid won’t budge, wrap a rubber band around it several times to give you a better grip.
2. Decorate Easter eggs. Arrange rubber bands in a pattern around hard-boiled eggs, then dip them into dye. Remove the bands when the eggs are dry.
3. Bring order to your dishwasher. Tether stemware and other delicate, wobbly items to the rack.
4. Wrap a gift. Use multiple colored rubber bands instead of ribbon to add modern flair to a small present. (Particularly handy when you can’t find the tape.)
5. Label meat.
Are these burgers rare or well-done? They all look the same on the outside. Identify just-off-the-grill meats with different-colored toothpicks and they won’t get mixed up.
6. Find the end of the roll. When you’ve finished using tape, wrap the end around a toothpick so you can easily locate it the next time.
7. Glue beads and sequins. Use the sharp ends to apply teensy items to a craft project.
8. Sew a better button. Place a toothpick between the button and fabric so it doesn’t go on too tightly and end up tough to fasten.
9. Press a gadget’s Reset button. What fits perfectly into that tiny hole? You guessed it.
10. Clean up a cracked egg.
Cover the mess with a handful of salt, then wipe up with ease.
11. Dust a wreath. Place a wreath of pinecones or faux evergreen in a paper bag with a 1/4 cup of salt. Fold the top of the bag over and gently shake.
12. Remove tea stains. Sprinkle salt on a lemon peel, then rub it on a tea-stained cup.
13. Shine brass and copper. Make a paste of a few tablespoons of white vinegar with equal parts salt and flour. Apply with a soft cloth, rinse, and dry.
14. Clean a keyboard.
Run the sticky side between the keys to collect crumbs and bits of lint.
15. Navigate the roads. Write directions on a note and stick it to the center of your steering wheel for quick reference.
16. Mark containers. Cut off the sticky zone and use it as an ersatz label for travel bottles so you don’t confuse your facial cleanser with your hair gel.
17. File away. Divide a pile of paper into sections using Post-it Notes as you would folder tabs.
18. Play tic-tac-toe. Use a sheet for each X and O. Peel them up and play again until they lose their stickiness.
19. Secure slinky garments.
Stick a felt circle onto each arm of a hanger to keep clothes from sliding off.
20. Anchor a cutting board. Place a circle under each corner of the board so it stays put while you slice and dice.
21. Prevent tabletop scratches. Attach a circle to the bottom of a vase so it doesn’t scuff surfaces.
22. Keep your kitchen quiet. Hush a banging cabinet door by sticking a circle on a corner on the inside of the door.
23. Protect the walls. Position felt on each corner of a picture frame so the edges won’t mark the paintwork.
Clear Nail Polish
24. Keep an eyeglass screw in place.
If your specs are a bit wobbly, tighten the screws and top them with a dollop of polish.
25. Secure buttons. Apply a thin layer of polish to the center of a button to keep the thread from coming loose.
26. Avoid rust stains in the bathroom. Coat the bottom of a shaving-cream can to fend off rings on the ledge of the tub.
27. Seal an envelope. When a flap won’t stay stuck, find closure with clear polish.
28. Extend the life of jewelry. Paint a thin coat onto a costume bauble to prevent it from losing its luster.