How to Make Giant Solar-Powered Christmas Lights
This is the most brilliant DIY you'll see all season.
Get Your Glow On
If you're looking for an easy holiday decorating idea that makes a big statement, look no further than these glowing, oversized Christmas ornaments. The secret to giant outdoor ornaments that really light up is to start with LED-powered solar lanterns in festive colors, and then work some DIY magic. Place these eye-catching decorations on your front stoop, lawn, or porch—these weatherproof orbs will shine whether displayed indoors or out.
What You'll Need:
- LED Solar Lantern, in different colors
- Krylon Silver Metallic Spray Paint
- Clean 12-ounce plastic container
- Floral wire
- Scissors or cutting pliers
- Needle nose pliers
Follow These Steps:
1. Poke two large holes on opposite, far edges of the bottom of the plastic container. Then make two small holes ¼-inch apart in the center of the container.
2. Paint the container with silver spray paint, then let dry completely.
3. Remove the hanger from the top of the solar panel. Using needle nose pliers, bend the ends of the wire so they are facing one another. Then thread the ends through the two large holes in the container.
4. Turn on and assemble the lantern by inserting the wire frame into the holes in the cap. Pull the lantern up, resting the wire loops on top of the ridges in the wire frame.
Attach the Cap
5. Cut a 12-inch piece of floral wire and thread it through the ridges in the lantern's wire frame, then up through the two small holes in the plastic container.
Top It Off
6. Twist the floral wire until the plastic container rests firmly against the lantern. Cut off any excess wire.