5 Ways to Reimagine Your Bedroom
Soothing colors in large expanses are relaxing; the walls and the rug envelop you in calming greens. Bedding is all one lavender-cream thought. Symmetry feels upscale and organized. Wall sconces keep night tables uncluttered, minimizing visual stress. Shiny surfaces add glamour; mirrors, satiny bedding, and silver fixtures reflect light. Tactile luxuries, like quilted silk-blend bedding and a faux-fur throw, signal sumptuousness and elevate the scene.
To buy: Natura paint in Sea Mist 2147-50, $50 a gallon, benjaminmoore.com for stores. Salon by Hotel Collection Classic Embroidered Links quilted coverlet, $260, macys.com. Giacosa boudoir sham, $40, and standard shams, $75 each: designersguild.com for stores. Faux-fur throw, $99, potterybarn.com. Dolo wool-and-silk rug (6 by 9 feet), $2,268, dolmarugs.com for stores. Mirrored cube table, $249, wisteria.com. Oval chair-side table, $279, ethanallen.com. Bentley sconces (unfortunately, this product is no longer available, but find similar products at williamssonomahome.com). Calvin queen bed, $1,199, and six-drawer dresser, $1,449 (shown throughout this story): roomandboard.com.
Cozy Country Getaway
- Sunny walls and a grassy rug bring the outside in. Landscape photographs and a nature-themed print reinforce the garden vibe. Glass objects―the display on the dresser and the elegant but humble chandelier―lend a conservatory feel and bounce around light. Big floral prints on the bed are modern and fun (tinier prints run the risk of looking granny). Antiquey, feminine touches, such as the chandelier and the curvy bedside tables, afford old-fashioned charm and warmth. Unexpected accents fend off frumpiness. An appliquéd pillow gives the bed a cool focal point, and a bold white lamp adds a modern smile to the room.
- To buy: Natura paint in Jasper Yellow 2024-50, $50 a gallon, benjaminmoore.com for stores. Rosemoor standard shams, $75 each; queen duvet, $290; and Leblond Moss throw, $205: designersguild.com for stores. Beaded birdcage chandelier by Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Couture, $625, shabbychic.com for stores. Swedish doe-leg tables, $549 each, wisteria.com. Color Reform rug (6 by 9 feet), $3,899, ABC Carpet & Home, 212-674-1144. Artichoke lamp, $525, Barbara Cosgrove Lamps, 816-221-3461 for stores. Linen appliquéd pillow, $100, 1891bysferra.com for stores.
- A vibrant mixed palette is easy to compile if you steal it from, say, a piece of upholstered furniture (the chair by the bed). Lavender gray walls activate vivid colors without competing. The dark dresser looks at home, thanks to brown in the rug. Layered patterns create energy. Choose prints of different sizes for a cheery chaos, and incorporate some solid white (like the rose pillow) for breathing space. Oddball accessories give the room character, so mix fearlessly. Ethnic touches, like the leather poufs, and vintagey elements, like the yellow table lamp, work together if you stay within your palette. Whimsical scale and placement bring a lighthearted warmth. The tiny piece of artwork over the bed and the quirky hanging lamp convey a sense of freedom and fun.
- To buy: Natura paint in Lavender Ice 2069-60, $50 a gallon, benjaminmoore.com for stores. Natalya quilt in full/queen, $250, and king shams, $70 each: companyc.com. Victorian slipper chair by John Derian Dry Goods, $6,800 a pair, and Moroccan leather poufs by John Derian Company, $285 each: johnderian.com for stores. Fantoni ceramic lamp, $1,950, the End of History, 212-647-7598. Coiled felt pendant lamp, $398, anthropologie.com. Yuri rug (6 by 9 feet), $1,160; and Tweed throw, $125: companyc.com. Flower pillow, $175, A Détacher, 212-625-3380.
Seaside Sleep Nook
- Soft blue walls and neutral floors, reminiscent of sky and water against sand, are calming. Taupe pillows and nautical-striped bedding continue the palette, so the room feels cohesive. Weathered pieces, like an antiqued mirror and an unfinished chair, give the room a casual, tossed-together quality that makes it feel friendly and indestructible, which is relaxing. Layers of natural textures create a luxurious but subtle depth, as in wood floors against a sea-grass rug against a reed basket. Even the nubby spare blankets factor into the lushness. Ocean-themed details feel soothing, but you don’t want to go overboard with them (pun intended). Vintage photos of boats, a conch shell, and a brass lamp are just seaworthy enough to create a vacation vibe.
- To buy: Natura paint in Wedgwood Gray HC-146, $50 a gallon, benjaminmoore.com for stores. Rivedoux duvet cover in full/queen, $458; standard shams, $79 each; and Eco Dark standard shams, $85.50 each: all at libecohomestores.com. Tarnby jute rug (7 by 10 feet), $149, ikea.com for stores. Franklin Pharmacy Task table lamp, $219, restorationhardware.com. Parisienne café chair by Zentique, $250, calypso-celle.com for stores. Reed Market bag, $75, A Détacher, 212-625-3380. Hampton throw by Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Couture, $118, shabbychic.com for stores.
Sultry and sleek, this room has a crispness that stimulates order (you’ll put away your boots) and yet, somehow, abandon. Eye-catching geometric art sets the tone for the space, synching perfectly with the pillows (squares everywhere). A triple hit of ovals (mirror, table lamp, and chair) contributes to the pulled-together effect. One bold color in a room of neutrals feels dramatic. Dark gray walls make the graphic bedding pop. Polished modern choices―a duvet cover that brings refinement to sensuous down, a sophisticated bench (choose one that’s smaller than the width of the bed), and square instead of rectangular pillows―all give the impression that a decorator has been on the premises. Intimate lighting ups the mystery of a room. Both fixtures, placed higher than the bed, cast a soft glow. Lower-wattage pink-tinted bulbs make everyone look great.
To buy: Natura paint in Gray Horse 2140-50, $50 a gallon, benjaminmoore.com for stores. White solid-border duvet cover in full/queen, $358, and Euro shams, $118 each: williamssonoma home.com. Beads rug (5 by 8 feet), $599; Joseph Albers serigraph, $419: roomandboard.com. Empire Egg Accent lamp, $239: restorationhardware.com. Standard dining chair, $1,200, Room Furniture and Interiors, 888-420-7666. Kulla floor lamp, $90, ikea.com for stores. Silver tray table by Nate Berkus, $80, hsn.com. Charlotte bench, $1,309, Intérieurs, 212-343-0800.