These stain-busters are made of products you probably have on hand, but make sure to follow the recipes exactly.
Dip a white cloth into these solutions and apply to the stain. Never pour the solutions directly onto carpeting.
- Detergent solution: Mix 1/4 teaspoon of a translucent liquid dishwashing detergent, such as Dawn or Joy, into one cup of lukewarm water.
- Vinegar solution: Mix one cup of white vinegar with two cups of water.
- Solvent solution: Use an oil solvent. Or substitute nail-polish remover, such as Cutex Quick & Gentle non-acetone polish remover.
Place these solutions (except the solvent) in spray bottles and mist them lightly onto the stain.
- Detergent solution: Mix one teaspoon of translucent liquid dishwashing detergent, such as Dawn or Joy, into 1 cup of lukewarm water.
- Vinegar solution: Mix 1/4 cup of white vinegar with 1/4 cup of water.
- Ammonia solution: Mix one tablespoon of clear household ammonia with 1/2 cup of lukewarm water.
- Solvent solution: Same as for synthetic carpets (see above).