How To: Clean Windows
Skip the cupboard full of newfangled glass scrubbers and potions―get squeaky-clean (and streak-free) windows in a jiffy with this video’s quick, simple technique.
What You Need
- window, multipurpose cleaner, microfiber cloth
Follow These Steps
- Clean the window frame Spray a multipurpose cleaner onto your frame, sill, and hardware, and wipe clean with a microfiber cloth.
- Prep the glass and remove any decals Dollop regular mayonnaise on window decals, then scrape them off with an old credit card. The oils in the mayonnaise dissolve the adhesive, and the card won’t scratch the glass.
- Spray the cleaner onto the glass Starting on the inside of the window, spray the pane with your multipurpose cleaner from top to bottom.Tip:Make your own cleaner: one part white vinegar to one part water.
- Wipe glass clean Working from left to right and top to bottom, wipe pane clean with microfiber cloth. If you don’t have a microfiber cloth, use newspaper for a streak-free finish.Tip: Clean your windows on a cloudy day to avoid streaks.
- Repeat on the bottom pane and other side if reachable Repeat steps 2 through 4 on additional panes and on the outside side of the glass, if you can reach it.