20 Fun Conversation Starter Questions for Your Thanksgiving Table
Worrying about the conversation at Thanksgiving shouldn't be such a burden–so we prepped both fun and funny conversation starters you can blurt out as soon as Aunt Barbara mentions the last election.
In an ideal world, we'd all have a list of funny conversation starters on deck for Thanksgiving dinner so we'd be equipped to defuse any awkward family tensions or change the subject quickly yet affably.
At your holiday dinner table, you know it's important to stay away from controversial topics like politics, but what do you do if you don't want to revert to retelling old family stories over and over again?
Luckily for you, we have some playful and funny conversation starters perfect for Thanksgiving to get your family and friends bonding (rather than bickering or making passive-aggressive remarks) during the meal. We guarantee no one will want to escape the Thanksgiving table on November 22 with these conversation starter questions–and if all else fails, maybe just try a game of Cards Against Humanity? At least then all the awkwardness will be directed toward the game's prompts rather than at each other ($16; amazon.com).
Fun and Funny Conversation Starters for Parents to Ask Kids (Of All Ages)
- Who is the funniest person at the table and why?
- Pretend you just won $5 million. What's the first thing you would buy?
- What do you think is the hardest thing about being a parent?
- What are you most thankful for this year? (You knew it was coming.)
Fun and Funny Conversation Starters for Kids to Ask Parents
- If you could have named yourself, what name would you have picked?
- What do you think is the hardest thing about being a kid?
- What about me is the most (and least) like you?
- If you could eat only one food on this table for an entire year, which one would it be?
Fun and Funny Conversation Starters for Friends to Ask Friends
- Which person here do you wish you knew better?
- Which person at this table would make the best news anchor?
- If you had a uniform that you had to wear every day, what would it be?
- Your most creative leftover-turkey idea: Go!
Fun and Funny Conversation Starters for Kids to Ask Grandparents
- How did you celebrate Thanksgiving when you were my age?
- What was your favorite thing about where you grew up?
- What about my mom/dad drove you crazy when she/he was a kid?
- If you could live in any decade of your life again, which would it be?
Fun and Funny Conversation Starters for Partners to Ask Each Other
- What did you really think of me on your first date?
- What phrase would you like me to never again utter?
- If I were a pair of shoes, what kind would I be?
- What is the best holiday we’ve ever spent with each other?
Now you're equipped with more than just Thanksgiving appetizers, dinner, and desserts so the meal will be as delightful as the photos on Instagram make it seem. If you want even more conversation starters, you can try weaving some of these inspirational Thanksgiving quotes into your chats with relatives and see if anyone notices or impress the table with your Thanksgiving knowledge.