This classic costume is a cinch to create.
When it comes time to decide what to wear for Halloween, nothing captures the spirit of the holiday quite like a classic witch costume. And because this outfit is easy to make, you can pull it together the day before the Halloween bash without spending much money. To avoid buying a new dress for a one-night event, our version works some magic on a black fabric laundry bag (hint, repurpose the one at the bottom of your closet) and transforms it into a little black dress in just a few snips. Hunt through your craft supplies bin for leftover ribbon to use for a belt and shoulder details, and the look is nearly complete. The costume really takes off when you pair the outfit with a homemade broomstick crafted from twigs collected in the backyard. Top off these little DIY touches with an inexpensive store-bought hat, and you’ll be the most enchanting witch at the party.
DIY Witch Costume
What You’ll Need:
- Black fabric laundry bag, such as this nylon one
- Green ribbon
- Black and white striped tights and shirt
- Witch’s hat
- Witch’s broom (find the how-to here)
Follow These Steps:
- Position the laundry bag with the opening at the bottom, where your legs will go. Cut holes for your head and arms, then snip the bottom hem of the dress into a zig-zag pattern.
- Use a length of ribbon to cinch each shoulder and tie with a bow. Cut another length of ribbon to tie as a belt around your waist.
- Wear the striped tights and shirt as a base and finish the look with a store-bought witch’s hat and a homemade broomstick (find the full DIY witch’s broom how-to here).