Add personality to your tree by creating your own topper this year.
This craft was originally developed by Michaels for Real Simple.
Looking to add some sparkle to the top of your tree? This crafty version of the traditional star is easy to pull together—you’ll need just a few supplies—and fun for the whole family to help with and then admire their handiwork all season long.
What You’ll Need:
- Beveled Hexagon Mirror, like this one
- Beveled Square Mirror, like this one
- Round Beveled Mirror, like this one
- Wood Dowels
- Krylon® Short Cuts®
- Krylon® Frosted Glass Finish
- Recollections™ Washi Tape Dispenser, Primaries
- 22 Gauge Floral Wire
- Newspaper (or Cardboard)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Hot Glue Sticks
- Wire Cutters
- Download patterns here and here.
- Use washi tape to create design onto mirrors. Cut ends of washi tape for a clean straight edge.
- In a well-ventilated area, lay mirrors down onto cardboard (or newspaper) and spray several layers of frost glass spray. Allow paint to dry for several minutes between coats. (Pro tip: For best results, hold can at least 8 to 10 inches away from mirror surface while spraying and spray in a side-to-side motion.)
- Carefully remove washi tape from mirrors and set mirrors aside to dry completely.
- Spray five wooden dowels with chrome spray paint. Allow paint to dry 30 minutes before handling.
- Turn mirrors over and glue the end of one dowel onto the back of each mirror, using a generous amount of hot glue. For stability, be sure to glue at least 2 to 3 inches of dowel rod onto back of mirror to support the weight of the mirrors. (Pro tip: Before gluing dowel rod to back of mirror, be sure the mirror is facing the proper direction, with design facing correctly.)
- Cut length of floral wire using wire cutters and carefully wire each mirror into the top of the tree. Hold the dowel rod against a tree limb and wire the dowel to the tree limb.