8 Brilliant New Year's Eve Decorations You Can Make
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.
Credit: Emily Kinni
End the year on a high note. Set the scene for an unforgettable bash with these DIY New Year's Eve party crafts.
- Cut out star shapes in different sizes from the color, metallic, and glitter cardstock. Layer them using double-stick tape.
- Wrap the middle part of three pipe cleaner around the headband so that two halves are sticking up. Secure the pipe cleaners to the headband with glue.
- Glue the star shapes to the top of one half of the pipe cleaner. Wrap the other half around a pencil to make a spiral shape. Add more spiral-shaped pipe cleaners if needed.
- Cut out two hexagon shapes from the origami paper. Attach them together with double-stick tape, placing a toothpick in between the two shapes.
- Repeat step one to add fringe. Then cut thin strips of the origami paper and fringe with scissors. Adhere double-stick tape to one side of the hexagon shape. Layer on the fringed strips from bottom to top. Trim to fit the shape.
- Cut star shapes from the glitter cardstock. Glue to the tops of the metallic pipe cleaners.
- Cut 12-inch long strips of glitter cardstock (at least 1 ½-inch wide) and fringe along the length with scissors. Wrap the fringed strips around the top half of the skewer and secure with glue.
- Wrap pipe cleaners around a pen or pencil to create a spiral shape.
- Arrange the star pipe cleaners, fringed skewers and spiral pipe cleaners in the vase.
- Cut two-inch long strips of mylar and fringe with scissors.
- Glue the strips of fringed mylar to the paper lantern, starting from the bottom and working your way up. Since the paper lantern is divided in sixths, you can glue the fringe along each part, instead of wrapping the strip around the whole lantern.
- Cut a strip from the contact paper. Write “Happy New Year” on it with permanent marker and glue to the lantern.
- Wrap metallic paper around the push pop container and secure with glue.
- Create spirals by wrapping the metallic pipe cleaners around the pen or pencil.
- Fill the container with confetti and pipe cleaners.
New Year’s Garland
What You’ll Need:
Magna Tac glue
- Cut out letters spelling “Happy New Year” from the cardstock.
- Attach sequins, pom poms, fake flowers, and any other decorations to the letters.
- Glue the letters along the string and hang.
Spiral Hanging Decor
What You’ll Need:
Colorful scrapbook paper
- Cut a circle out of a sheet of scrapbooking paper.
- Draw a spiral on the circle and cut along the lines.
- Poke a small hole at one end of the spiral shape and attach string to hang from the ceiling.
Crafts developed by Morgan Levine