7 Healthy Grocery Items to Buy at Trader Joe’s
Although not every TJ’s item can be considered nutritious (we’re looking at you, Milk Chocolate PB Pretzels), a great many of the groceries lining Trader Joe’s shelves really are good for you.
In addition to the quirky packaging and low prices, Trader Joe’s is beloved for its interesting specialty goods and staples alike. The best part? Many of them are healthy picks. See our favorite products below.
- Unsweetened Organic Açaí Purée Packets: Higher in anthocyanins—an antioxidant that promotes heart health—than any berry on the block, this beloved Amazonian superfruit is perfect in smoothies and, of course, acai bowls.
- Organic Maca Powder: This root, grown in the Andes mountains, contains more than 20 amino acids. You'll be hard-pressed to find the superfood anywhere else for less. Try adding it to smoothies.
- Coconut Aminos Seasoning Sauce: Made from the fermented sap of the coconut blossom, this amino-rich sauce is the perfect Paleo swap for soy sauce or tamari.
- Organic Ginger Turmeric Herbal Tea: 100 percent organic ginger, turmeric, licorice root, orange peel, orange oil, and black pepper combine in this majorly anti-inflammatory herbal infusion. Sip liberally!
- Organic Kabocha Squash: Also called the Japanese pumpkin, kabocha squash tastes like a cross between a sugar pumpkin and a sweet potato. Beyond its rich mouthfeel and subtly sweet flavor, the squash provides 90 percent of your daily vitamin A in each 30 calorie serving.
- Organic Cranberry Spiced Apple Kombucha: The follow-up to TJ’s Gently Gingered Kombucha, this fermented, lightly carbonated iced tea is full of immunity-boosting probiotics.
- Premium Wild Salmon Burgers: Made with wild Alaskan salmon and seasoned with sea salt, these patties are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. Throw them on the grill or the stovetop for a healthy weeknight dinner.
RELATED: 4 New Trader Joe's Items We Can't Wait to Try
Prefer to shop at Aldi? We rounded up the healthiest picks from them, too.