How to Deal With Anger Gracefully
Even in times when full-on anger is justified, social protocol sometimes prevents you from truly venting. Here, how to express yourself without coming off like a hothead or a doormat.
- Smile. You cant work yourself into a rage without an angry face. Relax the muscles in your jaw, forehead, and lips to keep cool, then eke out a grin.
- Look ahead. Will this thing matter in five minutes? Five months? Five years? If not, why bother wasting energy on it?
- Put yourself in charge. Saying I am choosing not to get angry about this (or the opposite) can be empowering.
- Adopt a more flexible philosophy of life. A few truths: Things wont always go your way. Accidents happen. The world is an imperfect place. Repeat as necessary.
- Think of the harm you may cause. Say your child comes home past his curfew. Your options are screaming (outcome: an ugly late-night shouting match) or telling him that youre quite upset and that youll talk first thing in the morning (outcome: a more coherent and calm discussion).