How to Purge Plastic From Your Kitchen
Whether or not your plastic containers are BPA-free, some research suggests that they might still contain harmful chemicals. Want to go plastic-free at home? Here are six genius swaps to make it happen.
Swap plastic wrap for...
- Bee’s Wrap, reusable sheets of organic cotton muslin that are infused with beeswax. Use the heat of your hands to mold around the top of a bowl, sandwiches, cheese, or a loaf of bread. Each sheet lasts for a year, and comes in a variety of beautiful, vibrant patterns.
- GIR Silicone Lids come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors, and suction onto every sort of bowl and casserole dish to keep food fresh.
- Tinfoil! To keep things simple.
Swap zippered plastic bags for...
- Lekue silicone food storage bags, which are safe for the fridge and freezer. Each reusable, dishwasher-safe bag has a sturdy zipper and flat bottom, so it stands up on its own. Each bag has cup, ml, and oz measurements marked clearly on the side.
- Lunchskins Sandwich Bags are made from lightweight, quick drying cotton fabric. Each cute bag fastens with a hook and loop, and is dishwasher safe.
Swap plastic storage containers for...
- Anchor Hocking Glass refrigerator sets, which are made from sturdy, dishwasher-, microwave-, and oven-safe glass. They come in a variety of sizes and have heavy glass lids that keep food fresh. Opt for these 100 percent glass containers over storage containers that have glass bottoms and plastic tops.
- Stainless Steel Tiffin, traditional Indian food carriers made from stackable tiers. In other words, these compartments take up minimal space in your refrigerator, and keep food super organized. They make fantastic lunchboxes, too.
- Weck jars or mason jars.
Swap ice packs for...
- Oynx Stainless Steel Ice Packs are about the size of an iPhone, and can slip directly next to your food. Filled with distilled water, they freeze solid in about two hours, and will keep lunch cool for four to six hours.
Swap plastic water bottles for...
- Klean Kanteen water bottles come in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes—and are made entirely of stainless steel.
- Hydro Flask products have insulated walls that keep drinks cold for 24 hours, and warm beverages hot for six hours.
Swap sippy cups for...
- Pura Kiki Toddler Bottle, made from stainless steel with a silicone spout and travel cap, is totally plastic-free. Internal volume markings make measuring beverages a breeze.
- Green Sprouts Glass Sip ‘n Straw Cup holds liquid in a glass insert that’s covered with a plastic shield for protection (which never comes in contact with the beverage). This is a great option if you’re looking for a transparent sippy cup.