24 Smart Products to Help You Go Plastic-Free in the Kitchen
Want to reduce plastic use in your cookspace? Here are 24 genius swaps to make it happen.
Maybe you’re going zero waste; maybe you’re trying to reduce the single-use items in your life, or you’re concerned about the potentially harmful chemicals in plastics. Whatever your motivation, there are plenty of reasons to seek out more plastic alternatives, especially in the kitchen, where food waste and single-use food packaging—plus all the cleaning supplies, takeout containers, disposable dishware and utensils, and more—take a heavy toll on the environment. (Every little bit adds up, remember.)
Whether you’re just learning how to recycle or you’re discovering what zero waste is, cutting back on plastic use in your cookspace can help reduce your negative impact on the environment, save you money, and even protect your health (especially if you’re constantly concerned about if you can microwave plastic).
These no-plastic alternatives for plastic bags, plastic wrap, food storage containers, and more offer reusable, long-lasting options that can mean less spending and fewer trips to take out the trash. Going plastic-free has never been so easy.
Plastic wrap alternatives
Sealable plastic bag alternatives
- Stasher Silicone Reusable Food Bags are essentially reusable plastic bags. A pinch-lock seal keeps food fresh (and spill-free), and the bags can be tossed in the dishwasher between uses.
- Parkland Snack Bags have recycled polyester exteriors and zippered tops for storing snacks on-the-go. Simply toss into the dishwasher to clean.
Plastic storage container alternatives
- S’well eats containers have two parts—an inner prep bowl and a vacuum-insulated exterior bowl—for transporting and storing snacks, granola, yogurt, or smoothie bowls, soups, salads, and more. Try S’ip by S’well containers for a more playful, kid-friendly option.
- OXO Good Grips Storage Containers come in nine sizes of borosilicate glass containers with leakproof lids.
- Essos Glass Jars are airtight and have wood lids for stackable, plastic-free storage. Use for dry goods such as pastas, dried beans, and the like.
- Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set includes nonporous glass containers and bakeware with BPA-free lids, so food can be cooked and safely stored in the same containers.
- Weck jars or mason jars.
Ice pack alternative
Plastic water bottle alternatives
- Hydro Flask products have insulated walls that keep drinks cold for 24 hours and warm beverages hot for six hours. Options range from water bottles to growler-sized bottles.
- Nalgene Water Bottles are BPA-free and lightweight, perfect for hiking trips or urban treks.
- S’well Stainless Steel Water Bottles are condensation-free and can keep drinks cold for 24 hours or warm for twelve.
- Klean Kanteen water bottles come in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes—and are made entirely of stainless steel.