The FDA Just Issued a Recall of Potatoes, Lemons, Limes, and Oranges Due to Potential Listeria Contamination
A number of the items subject to the recall are currently sold at Wegman's stores.
Freshouse II, LLC, a Salisbury, N.C.-based company, is recalling a number of brands of Red B Potatoes, Lemons, Limes, Organic Limes, and Valencia Oranges due to potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
The voluntary recall was issued following a routine internal inspection in which Freshouse II identified Listeria on some of the equipment in their packing facilities. "We have ceased the production and distribution of the product that was packed on the equipment in question and are taking corrective actions and continually evaluating our cleaning and sanitation regimes," the brand states in the recall announcement on the FDA website.
The products being recalled can be identified by looking for the brand, UPC number, and trace number printed on the tag or clip attached to the opening end of the bag. All items were shipped directly to retail distribution centers in North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia and to wholesalers in Maryland and North Carolina. To see photos of the specific products subject to recall, see here.
- Freshouse Limes sold in 2lb Mesh Bags, UPC #33383 and 14683; Trace # 174618, 174570, 174571, 174572
- Nature's Promise Organic Limes sold in 1lb Mesh Bags, UPC #88267 and 53813; Trace # 174375
- Fresh From the Start Red B Potatoes sold in 3lb Mesh Bags, UPC #33383 and 51003; Trace # 174575, 174403, 174595
- Fresh From the Start Lemons sold in 2lb Mesh Bags, UPC #33383 and 14020; Trace # 174551, 174552
- Wegmans Lemons sold in 2lb Mesh Bags, UPC #77890, 15917
- Wegmans Valencia Oranges sold in 4lb Mesh Bags, UPC # 77890, 52363
- Wholesale Bulk Lemons sold in 40lb Mesh Bags, Shippers Reference Numbers 1187005, 1187128, 1187103, 1187112
- Wholesale Bulk Limes sold in 40lb Mesh Bags, Shippers Reference Numbers 1187112, 1187099, 1187128, 1186832
- Wholesale Bulk Red Potatoes sold in 50lb Mesh Bags, Shippers Reference Numbers 1187098, 320873, 320992, 2182424
- Wholesale Bulk Valencia Oranges sold in 40lb Mesh Bags, Shippers Reference Numbers 1187099, 1187015, 1187112
Luckily, no illnesses have been recorded due to the affected items above to date. According to the FDA, however, Listeria monocytogenes is "an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems." And though healthy individuals may experience only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea, "Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women."
If you believe you own any of the affected products, do not consume them. The FDA instead says to "destroy the product in a way so that it may not be consumed by others or return it to the place of purchase for a refund." Freshouse II, LLC has notified its retail and wholesale customers who received the recalled product directly from the company and is requesting that these customers remove the recalled product from commerce, too. "We are also asking our direct customers to notify their customers of this recall," Freshouse said in the recall report. Consumers with questions may contact Freshouse II, LLC at 631-369-7150, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET. Consumers may also contact the company via email (email@example.com) or visit the company’s website here.
“We voluntarily issued this recall out of an abundance of caution with the steadfast intent to minimize even the slightest risk to public health,” said Jamey Friedman, president. “We take food safety and this recall seriously. Freshouse is committed to providing consumers with fresh, nutritious, safe products.”