Mix-and-Match Healthy Ingredients
Throw together a quick, good-for-you meal in a flash by combining any of these speedy ingredients.
Real Simple’s food editors tried nearly 100 combinations of ingredients to come up with this deliciously versatile mix-and-match list of about 50. Keep your health bowl simple, or max out with something from every category.
- Brown rice
- Red leaf lettuce
- Swiss chard
- Purple cabbage
- Fish (canned, smoked, or freshly cooked)
- Cured meats
- Beans (black, cannellini, butter, chickpeas, kidney)
- Eggs (hard-boiled, poached, or fried)
Vegetables and Herbs
- Snap peas
- Snow peas
- Herbs (dill, parsley, cilantro, tarragon)
- Ricotta salata
- Aged Cheddar
- Any creamy cheese (like Camembert or Humboldt Fog)
- Nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts)
- Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower)
- Marinated artichokes
Find creative ways to combine these ingredients into quick meals.