The Only 3 Condiments You Need This Summer
Plus: a slew of surprising and delicious ways to use them.
Jules Jamaican Jerk Sauce
Made from a blend of scotch bonnet peppers (a variety of habanero), ginger, and scallions, this piquant sauce gives meat a complex sweet and spicy flavor. The secret recipe comes from a family that has been in the Jamaican jerk chicken business for over thirty years--and indeed, it’s hard to find or make a version this authentic and tasty.
- Using as a marinade for chicken, pork, fish, or any other protein.
- Mixing with beer to make a braising liquid for pork shoulders, chicken thighs, or vegetables. Reduce the liquid afterwards into a sauce you’ll want to save for days.
- Slathering over sweet potato halves before grilling them, skin-side down. Give each a quick mash when finished with a pat of butter.
To buy: $7.95 for one 12-ounce bottle, julesgourmetfoods.com.
Sir Kensington’s Special Sauce
This versatile mayonnaise-based sauce is a clever blend of Sriracha, vinegar, and black pepper. Keep in your fridge for those occasions when an extra punch of flavor and creaminess is wanted. (And let’s be honest—when isn’t it?)
- Serving with a plate of shrimp or oysters.
- Blending with egg yolk for simple, instantly robust deviled eggs.
- Combining with lump crab meat for two-ingredient crab cakes.
To buy: $5 for one 10-ounce container, vitacost.com.
Stubb’s Hickory Liquid Smoke
The bottle may be small, but the sauce inside is filled with the big flavor of real wood smoke--thanks to a process in which pure water is pushed though a high heat chamber filled with smoldering hickory wood chips. A few drops go a long way.
- Sprinkling over ribs, instead of slow-smoking for hours. (We won’t tell!)
- Mixing into cauliflower puree – the perfect partner for your grilled steak.
- Adding to your favorite slow cooker recipe (maybe slow cooker chili?) to add an extra layer of flavor.
To buy: $7 for one 5-ounce bottle, amazon.com.