Food Recipe Collections & Favorites Seasonal Meals Sourdough and Sage Stuffing 5.0 (2) By Chris Morocco Chris Morocco Chris is a senior food editor and test kitchen director at Bon Appétit with over 10 years of experience in the food industry. He wrote for Real Simple for nearly two years, starting in 2013. At Bon Appétit, he also hosts their YouTube series Reverse Engineering, where Chris is tasked to recreate dishes based on his super-tasting abilities (without seeing the dishes he'll be cooking). Highlights: * 10+ years of experience in the food industry * Associate Food Editor, Bon Appétit for nearly 3 years * Staff Food Editor, Real Simple for nearly 2 years * Senior Food Editor and Test Kitchen Director, Bon Appétit for 7 years * Host of Reverse Engineering Bon Appétit YouTube Series * Graduated from International Culinary Center Real Simple's Editorial Guidelines Updated on October 22, 2014 Print Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Roland Bello Hands On Time: 25 mins Additional Time: 1 hrs 55 mins Total Time: 2 hrs 20 mins Yield: 8 serves Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 small round sourdough bread (1 pound) ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan 2 stalks celery, chopped 2 medium onions, chopped Kosher salt and black pepper 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage 2.17 cups low-sodium chicken broth 3 large eggs, lightly beaten Directions Heat oven to 300° F. Spread the bread in a single layer on 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake, tossing once, until dry, 30 to 40 minutes; transfer to a large bowl. Increase oven temperature to 375° F. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the celery, onions, 11/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the sage. Transfer to the bowl with the bread. Add 1 set of mix-ins ( Bacon, Pecan and Thyme or Pine Nut, Raisin, and Parsley), if desired. Combine 2 1/2 cups of the broth and the eggs in a medium bowl. Add to the bowl with the bread and vegetables. Let sit, tossing occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. (Add up to 1/2 cup more broth if needed; the stuffing should feel moist but not have any standing liquid in the bottom of the bowl.) Transfer the stuffing to a buttered 8-inch square baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake until heated through, 30 to 35 minutes. Uncover and bake on the top rack until the top is browned and crisp, 30 to 40 minutes more. Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 318 Calories 15g Fat 36g Carbs 11g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 318 % Daily Value * Total Fat 15g 19% Cholesterol 100mg 33% Sodium 711mg 31% Total Carbohydrate 36g 13% Total Sugars 3g Protein 11g Calcium 54mg 4% Iron 3mg 17% *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.