Give basic brownies an easy upgrade with these sweet and savory extras.
Whether you're starting with one of the best brownie mixes or using the recipe for Bittersweet Chocolate Brownies, you don't have to limit yourself to chopped nuts and chocolate chips to give your sweet treat an extra kick. Some less predictable stir-ins:
- 1/2 cup pecans or skinned hazelnuts, roughly chopped, and 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Four 1.4-ounce chocolate-covered toffee bars, broken into small pieces
- 20 small or 4 large peppermint patties, chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder