The secret isn't fancy ingredients. Think dainty, not fussy, and follow these basic guidelines.
1. Start with thinly sliced bread.
2. Use just enough mayonnaise―a light coating on each slice of bread―to stick all the sandwich contents together and prevent sogginess.
3. Select assorted sandwich fillings. In addition to liverwurst and cucumber, try turkey with watercress or roast beef and horseradish.
4. Exercise restraint when adding the filling (it's a tea sandwich, not a sub).
5. Trim the crusts after assembling the sandwiches to create a classic, clean look. Then cut into halves or quarters.
Recipes to Try