This ultimate summer fruit is incredibly inexpensive when it’s in season—if you steer clear of the pre-sliced containers. Here’s an easy way to handle the slippery job yourself. And, once you’ve grasped it, 16 genius ways to use up an entire watermelon.
Follow These Steps
- Slice watermelon in half around the “equator.”
- Lay halves on a cutting board with the wide, flat ends facing down.
- Working from top to bottom, use a chef’s knife to cut off the skin in strips, following the curve of the melon.
- With the halves still standing, make even, parallel slices through the top.
- Rotate watermelon 90 degrees and slice again.
- Holding the slices together, turn the watermelon onto its side, so your knife is at a right angle to the most recent slices.
- Make parallel slices along the length of the watermelon to create cubes.