How to Cook Steak
These steak secrets guarantee a juicy, flavorful meal every time.
- Take the steak out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking to bring it to room temperature. It will brown better and cook faster and more evenly. Plus, a rare steak won’t end up cold in the center.
- Fully preheat the grill, skillet, or broiler to the desired temperature. This will help you get a better sear, which locks in juices.
- Pat the steak dry with a paper towel before cooking (another way to ensure a good sear).
- Wait to season the steak until just before you cook it. If you season ahead of time, the salt will draw out some juices.
- Use generous amounts of kosher salt and cracked (or butcher’s grind) black pepper to get the most flavorful crust.