Food Recipes Wilted Sesame Spinach 5.0 (1) Wilted spinach can be kind of boring. But a nutty mixture of tahini, maple syrup, and tamari yields a creamy result with an unexpected flavor. Using sesame oil to cook the spinach imparts an assertive sesame flavor, but if you only have olive oil on hand, that works just as well. Saucy in nature, let the flavorful juices run into whatever you’re serving it with on the plate—like a rich salmon filet or juicy sliced steak. By Ananda Eidelstein Ananda Eidelstein Instagram Website Ananda Eidelstein is a vegetable-loving food writer, recipe developer, and editor. She is the former Senior Food Editor at REAL SIMPLE magazine. Prior to writing and editing feature stories, having her own monthly vegetarian column, and developing over 300 recipes during her time at RS, she was the Assistant Food Editor at Rachael Ray Every Day. She has also gained experience in the test kitchens of Martha Stewart's Living, and Saveur magazines, in catering, TV, and a Michelin-starred restaurant in New York City. Ananda is a graduate of the French Culinary Institute, now known as the International Culinary Center, with nearly a decade of culinary and food media experience. Real Simple's Editorial Guidelines Updated on May 4, 2018 Print Share Share Tweet Pin Email A flavorful mix of just four ingredients ( tahini, maple syrup, tamari, and sesame seeds) takes wilted spinach to another level. This melt-in-your-mouth side is saucy on the plate, adding another layer of flavor to your main dish.Get the recipe:Wilted Sesame Spinach. Photo: Greg DuPree Hands On Time: 10 mins Total Time: 10 mins Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: ½ cup) Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame paste) 1 ½ teaspoons tamari ½ teaspoon pure maple syrup 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, plus more for serving 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil 2 bunches fresh spinach, trimmed 1 tablespoon water Directions Whisk together tahini, tamari, maple syrup, and sesame seeds in a small bowl. Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium. Add spinach, and cook, tossing occasionally, until reduced in volume and coated in oil, about 1 minute. Stir in 1 tablespoon water, cover, and cook until spinach is wilted and bright green, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and add tahini sauce to skillet. Gently toss with spinach until coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 80 Calories 4g Fat 8g Carbs 6g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 80 % Daily Value * Total Fat 4g 5% Saturated Fat 1g 3% Sodium 254mg 11% Total Carbohydrate 8g 3% Total Sugars 1g Protein 6g Calcium 176mg 14% Iron 5mg 28% *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.