- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 small bunch collard greens or kale, stems discarded and leaves cut into strips (4 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan (about 2 ounces), plus more for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the broth and tomatoes with their juices and bring to a boil. Add the barley, reduce heat, and simmer until the barley is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the collards or kale and the beans and cook until the greens are wilted and the beans are heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with additional Parmesan.