Food Recipes Warm Chicken Shawarma Salad Be the first to rate & review! This satisfying salad brings big flavor to the dinner table. By Liz Mervosh Liz Mervosh Elizabeth Mervosh is a product tester and recipe developer for the Meredith Food Studios in Birmingham, Alabama. Highlights: * Went to work at Meredith Food Studios in 2017 * It houses test kitchens for Southern Living, Real Simple, Food & Wine, People, and Health * Went to culinary school at The Culinary Institute of America * Got her start working in restaurants Real Simple's Editorial Guidelines Published on November 29, 2021 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Greg DuPree Hands On Time: 20 mins Total Time: 30 mins Servings: 4 Jump to Nutrition Facts Shawarma is the Middle Eastern way of slowly roasting spiced and marinated lamb, chicken, or veal on a vertical, rotating spit and thinly slicing it to serve. This colorful salad borrows that classic dish's flavors: a warm and toasty blend of coriander, cumin, cinnamon, pepper, turmeric, and allspice. And while you could blend your own spices, of course, shawarma seasoning mixes are widely available shortcuts. Here, chicken is tossed with shawarma seasoning and oil, and then broiled until it's nicely charred in spots, tender, and juicy. Served with peppery arugula, a shower of herbs, creamy yogurt dressing, and warm pita, it's a salad that's both flavorful and filling. Ingredients ¼ cup olive oil, divided 1.50 tablespoons shawarma seasoning, such as McCormick 1.50 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 5 total) 1 red onion, cut into ½-in. wedges ¾ cup (6 oz.) plain whole-milk Greek yogurt ¼ cup chopped mint and/or parsley, plus leaves for serving 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons) ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided 1 5-oz. container baby arugula 2 cups grape tomatoes (about 10 oz.), halved 2 6-in. pita rounds, quartered Directions Preheat broiler with rack 6 inches from heat. Stir together 2 tablespoons oil and seasoning in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Toss onion wedges with 1 tablespoon oil on a large, rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Arrange onion wedges along outer edges of baking sheet. Place chicken in center of baking sheet. Broil until onions are charred in spots and crisp-tender and chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk yogurt, herbs, lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon salt, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a small bowl. Whisk in 1 to 3 tablespoons water as needed to reach drizzling consistency. Remove baking sheet from oven and let chicken rest for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and thinly slice. Sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Top arugula with tomatoes, sliced chicken, and onion wedges. Drizzle with yogurt dressing and top with herbs. Serve with pita. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 496 Calories 25g Fat 26g Carbs 44g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 4 Calories 496 % Daily Value * Total Fat 25g 32% Saturated Fat 6g 30% Cholesterol 6mg 2% Total Carbohydrate 26g 9% Dietary Fiber 3g 11% Total Sugars 6g Protein 44g *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.