- 1 cup (about 5 ¾ oz.) fine plain white cornmeal
- 1 cup (about 4¼ oz.) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ pound peeled turnips, cut into ⅓-inch-thick sticks
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- Canola oil
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Stir together cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Toss turnips in buttermilk; transfer to cornmeal mixture, and toss to coat. Shake off excess.
- Pour canola oil to a depth of ¼ inch in a large skillet; heat over medium. Cook turnips, in batches, in hot oil, until golden brown, about 5 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, stir together ketchup, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, and apple cider vinegar. Sprinkle fries with chives, and serve with ketchup mixture.