- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 large celery stalk, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 3 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes and their juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Heat the olive oil, onion, carrot, and celery in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until just translucent but not browned.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, oregano, and sugar and simmer, partially covered, over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.