- Fish Sauce Vinaigrette
- ½ small head of green cabbage (cut into 2 wedges, leaving the cores intact)
- ½ small head of red cabbage (cut into 2 wedges, leaving the cores intact)
- Neutral-flavored oil, such as grapeseed or Canola
- Fine sea salt
- ½ bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch of scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- ½ cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Make the fish sauce vinaigrette.
- Preheat the grill until hot, about 30 minutes. (You can also use a grill pan preheated for 15 minutes over high heat.)
- Brush the cabbage wedges with oil and season with salt.
- Grill the cabbage until charred with visible dark grill marks, about 5 minutes per side. Let cool slightly, then core and thinly slice.
- To assemble the salad, place the sliced cabbage in a large bowl. Drizzle on about ¼ cup of the dressing and toss to coat. Taste and add more dressing as needed. Add the cilantro, scallions, and peanuts and toss again; season with salt to taste.
Excerpted from The Haven’s Kitchen Cooking School by Alison Cayne (Artisan Books). Copyright © 2017. Photographs by Con Poulos.