- 2 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 head Boston or Bibb lettuce
- 1/3 cup fresh dill sprigs
- 3/4 cup fresh whole flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, cut into 1-inch pieces (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh whole chervil leaves (optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, honey, and 1½ tablespoons water. Whisking constantly, slowly add the oil. Add the shallot and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, dill, parsley, and (if using) tarragon, chives, and chervil. (You can cover and refrigerate the vinaigrette and greens separately for up to 24 hours.)
- Whisk the vinaigrette to recombine. Serve the salad with the vinaigrette on the side.