- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 15.5-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 head romaine lettuce, leaves torn (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or grated Cheddar (2 ounces)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup store-bought fresh salsa
- sour cream and tortilla chips, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion has softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and ¼ cup water and cook, tossing occasionally, until warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Top the lettuce with the bean mixture, queso fresco, avocado, salsa, and sour cream. Serve with the tortilla chips.