- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 bunch scallions (about 6), thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the scallions and ginger and cook until the scallions begin to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sugar, ketchup, lime juice, soy sauce, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until slightly thickened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Reserve half the sauce for dipping, if desired. Cook 1½ to 2 pounds of beef, pork, poultry, lamb, seafood, or tofu on a preheated grill to desired doneness. Brush on the sauce during the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking.