- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- 20 small strawberries, hulled and cut into small pieces (2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper or foil. Place the pan in freezer to chill, about 10 minutes.
- Scoop the ice cream into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat with a paddle attachment until it's soft but still holds its shape, about 2 minutes. Add the strawberries and beat until the ice cream is pink and the berries start to break down, about 1 more minute. Transfer to the chilled pan and spread to smooth the surface. Freeze until firm, 2 hours or overnight (if overnight, wrap in plastic to prevent freezer burn).
- Whip the heavy cream in a clean bowl to form soft peaks. Remove the cake from the springform ring, running a knife around the edge, if necessary. Spread the cream over the cake. Use a hot chef's knife to slice the cake into wedges.