- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 3/4 pound strip steak (1/2 inch thick)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems discarded and leaves torn
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 soft rolls
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- carrot sticks, for serving
- Heat grill or a grill pan to medium. Once it is hot, clean the grill grate with a wire brush. Just before grilling, oil the grill grate or grill pan.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with ¼ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper; cook 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice. Reserve the skillet.
- Add the chard and garlic to the skillet and cook, tossing occasionally, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Dividing evenly, fill the rolls with the chard, steak, and mozzarella. Grill, pressing down with a spatula, until the cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Serve with carrot sticks.