- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound parsnips (about 2 medium), cut into 1-inch pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak (1 inch thick)
- Place the potatoes and parsnips in a large pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Add 2 teaspoons salt, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pot. Mash with the milk, butter, scallions, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Cook the steak to desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest before slicing. Serve with the potato-parsnip mash.