- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1 head)
- ¼ cup sliced scallions, divided
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 large ripe plantain, peeled
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- Sour cream and sliced avocado, for garnish
- Microwave the vinegar, sugar, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper in a microwave-safe bowl until hot, about 30 seconds. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the cabbage and half the scallions; toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the steak with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the remaining pepper. Cut the plantain in half crosswise, then lengthwise into 4 long slices. Sprinkle with the ground chipotle and the remaining salt.
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high and cook the steak, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board; let rest 5 minutes before slicing against the grain. Meanwhile, add the plantains to the skillet and cook until golden, 2 minutes per side.
- Divide the steak, plantains, sour cream, avocado, and the remaining scallions among the tortillas. Serve with the slaw.