- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms (such as button and shiitake), stemmed and halved (or quartered if large)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks (about 12 ounces)
- ⅓ cup orzo
- 4 cups loosely packed baby kale leaves (about 2½ ounces)
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnishing
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and lower heat to medium. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender and have released their juices, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the broth, squash, and orzo and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the squash is tender and the orzo is cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the kale until just wilted. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the dill. Serve topped with more dill.