- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 20-ounce package peeled butternut squash, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into thin slices
- 4 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Thai chili, sliced or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh sage leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- Over medium-low heat, add the oil to a large skillet with the onion, squash, garlic, and bay leaf, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened.
- Add the water. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the squash is fork-tender.
- Stir in the zucchini, tomatoes, salt, and Thai chili and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in sage and a few grinds of black pepper to taste.