- 2 Fresno chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
- 8 bone-in beef short ribs (4 to 5 lb.)
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1¾ cups dry red wine
- 1 14.5-oz. can whole, peeled tomatoes, drained
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Stir together chiles, salt, paprika, oregano, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, ¼ cup of the oil, and half the garlic in a medium bowl. Rub ribs all over with chile mixture; cover and chill 12 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Let ribs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan and cook until reduced by half, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium. Working in batches, add ribs and cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side; transfer ribs to a platter. Remove pot from heat, discard drippings, and wipe clean.
- Pour wine into pot and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Add reduced broth and stir to combine. Add ribs to pot along with tomatoes, celery, carrots, and onion. Return to a boil, cover, and transfer to oven.
- Braise until meat is very tender and easily pulls away from the bone, 3 to 3½ hours.
- Meanwhile, stir together parsley, mint, lemon zest, and remaining half of garlic in a small bowl.
- Transfer ribs to a serving platter and tent with foil. Skim fat from cooking liquid and discard. Strain braising liquid and discard solids. Serve ribs with sauce, topped with parsley mixture.
Tip: Transport the ribs and sauce right in their pot so you can gently reheat them on the stove when you arrive. Pack the parsley mixture separately and sprinkle it on at the last minute.